Information About Storm Windows
What is a Storm Window?
Ask 10 people and you will likely get 10 different definitions for a storm window. Most descriptions include “cheap” and “flimsy”. Our definition of a storm window is a second window installed over the first window and is designed to insulate and reduce drafts, creating favorable energy savings.
A Soundproof Window is MORE than a Storm Window
By the above definition, it is a custom storm window but offers many additional benefits. A Soundproof Window can be considered to be a custom storm window, but is designed for reducing noise. In the process, there are other benefits not found in a storm window. Laminated glass, tighter seals and stronger construction combined with a small frame size improve almost all the benefits of a normal storm window. It is not cheap or flimsy, but rather a well made high quality window costing about as much as a replacement window.
Most people want a storm window because:
- Insulation values are higher in storm windows
- Storm windows are lower priced than replacement windows
- Drafts are reduced with storm windows
- Historical homes do not (or should not) use replacement windows*
- Do not want to replace existing windows for many various reasons
Additional reasons to get Soundproof Windows instead of regular storm windows:
- Noise reduction levels much higher than storm windows
- Better sealing windows, reducing drafts and cold spots even more
- Cuts out 99.9% of the unhealthy and color-fading ultraviolet light
- A better overall value than storm windows for the money invested (but higher initial cost)
- Quality – windows that will be in good shape 50 years from now
- A “custom storm window” fitting your existing windows better than regular storm windows
Our website can further explain why adding Soundproof Windows may be a better alternative than replacing your existing windows or installing storm windows.
Soundproof Windows Vs. Storm Windows
Here is a chart to compare installing a Soundproof Window vs. installing storm windows.
|Storm Windows||Soundproof Windows|
|% Noise Reduction||10% to 35%||75% to 95%|
|Reduces Hot/Cold Spots||good||excellent|
|% Harmful UV Light Blocked||0% to 65%||99.9%|
|Cost||$250 to $700 typical||$400 to $900 typical|
|Installed to the Outside||almost always||seldom|
|Installed to the Inside||seldom||almost always|
|Can be Installed Inside or Outside||normally outside only||installs easily either way|
|Stops Condensation||very good||very good|
|Uses Dual Pane Glass||sometimes||never|
|Dual Pane Seal Life||15 to 20 years||n/a|
|Home Owner Association:|
|Window Approval Process||difficult||easy|
Other topics or pages you may want to review: